Block Paving in Medway
Finding the Best Material for Your Driveway
Do you need a new driveway at your home or commercial property? Are you unsure which material will best meet your needs? First Highways is here to help. With over 20 years of experience installing driveways, our team recommends the best option for your project. From block paving to tarmac drives, there is something to suit your budget and requirements. Our handy guide explores the various options available and includes advice on features such as drop kerbs and drainage. As a reputable landscaping company, First Highways only recommends the most suitable and hard wearing options for customers in Sittingbourne, Medway and the surrounding areas.
Whether you’re updating an existing drive or installing a brand-new surface, it’s important to choose the right material. This will ensure your drive is effective as well as adding to the value of your property. The right material will also make sure you get the most for your money.
With thoughtful design and construction, driveways and drop kerbs last for many years and improve kerb appeal. The best surface materials depend on your preferences and individual requirements. As an experienced landscaping company, we undertake site visits and assessments to advise on suitable driveway options.
The most popular materials we use for driveways in Medway are:
- Tarmac – Tarmac drives are popular for both domestic and commercial applications. Tarmac is quick and cheap to lay, leaving a basic smooth finish. In recent years, other more visually appealing options, such as block paving, have become more favourable with home and business owners.
- Concrete – Like tarmac, concrete is a cheap material that is easy to install. It is also basically maintenance-free and will last a very long time. While it offers value for money, concrete is not the best option if you want to showcase your property in Medway.
- Block Paving – Block paving is one of the most popular options for driveways in the UK. Pavers come in a range of colours and sizes, and we can lay them in various patterns. This enables you to put an individual spin on your property while maintaining a traditional feel.
- Gravel – Gravel is one of the cheapest materials and offers great visual appeal. However, it can be problematic when it comes to maintenance. Loose gravel naturally moves around, so you’ll lose materials. Weeds also grow through easily, meaning gravel driveways require quite a lot of maintenance.
When planning a driveway installation in Medway, there are numerous factors to consider, such as soil, drainage and drop kerbs. We assess the needs of your site on an individual basis, but some things we consider are:
- Drainage – Driveways must have suitable drainage that complies with SUDS. Because concrete and tarmac drives do not allow surface water to drain through, these styles need controlled run-off to your garden or a purpose-built soakaway. As a landscaping company, First Highways undertakes all necessary drainage work.
- Drop Kerbs – To easily access your property, you may need a drop kerb. First Highways is a Kent County Council approved installer of drop kerbs, undertaking safe and compliant services in Medway, including reinforcing pavements.